OVERVIEW: Mama Earth is a visual celebration of the beauty of the planet Earth through a variety of artistic mediums. It will serve as the backdrop to the Center for Green Urbanism’s first annual Earth Day Celebration in April 2011 and related activities.
This exhibition will feature work that expresses the artist’s unique interpretation of the natural beauty of the Earth. Artists residing in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia are eligible to apply.
About the Tubman-Mahan Art Gallery and The Center for Green Urbanism:
The art exhibition will be held in the Center for Green Urbanism’s Tubman-Mahan Art Gallery in Washington, DC. The Gallery is part of the Center’s new eco-friendly business incubator facility providing office space for small to mid-sized businesses and start-ups interested in locating in Ward 7 in northeast Washington, DC. The Center and Gallery are located at 3938 Benning Road, NE, Washington, DC on the edge of Fort Mahan Park, a national park site and gateway to the Fort Circle Park Trail. For more information, visit the Center’s website at http://www.centerforgreenurbanism.org.
Authentic Contemporary Art (ACA) will provide curatorial services and management of contemporary art exhibitions in the Center’s Tubman-Mahan Gallery. ACA was founded in 2005 and now serves as an alternative source for emerging and contemporary art. Based in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area, ACA creates opportunities for art collectors and emerging contemporary artists to connect through exhibitions and other events. For more information visit ACA’s website at http://www.authenticartonline.com.
ELIGIBLE MEDIUMS: All original 2-D mediums including mixed media, collage, photography, painting, and works on paper.
1. Artists must be 18 years or older, residing in the United States at the time of entry.
2. Artists residing in the District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia are eligible to apply.
3. Artwork must be original and completed within the last two years. Artwork completed under classroom supervision will not be accepted.
4. Artwork must not exceed 40” x 40” or weigh more than 30 pounds and must be ready for display – professionally framed with a secure wire hanger. Works on paper must be framed under plexi or glass.
5. Artwork must not be priced above $900 and must be available for sale.
6. All wall hanging art must be properly framed (no metal frames) and wired, ready to hang (no saw-tooth or “clipped in’ hangers). Works on canvas must be wired in the back for hanging or will be disqualified. A “Gallery Wrapped” (a canvas that wraps completely around to the back of stretchers and stapled or tacked on back with no exposed staples or tacks on side edges) will be accepted without a frame only if it is properly wired for hanging and all “Gallery Wrapped” edges are painted (finished). Any “Gallery Wrapped” canvas with exposed unpainted canvas on edges will be rejected. A standard canvas (with staples/tacks on side edges) must be framed.
7. The jurors and the Gallery have final authority to define what constitutes an acceptable entry. Works may be determined to be unacceptable if considered unsafe or appear to be significantly different from the image submitted for jury.
ENTRIES: Artists may submit up to three (3) entries by digital image.
DEADLINE: All materials must be postmarked by February 12, 2011. Late or incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
ENTRY FEE: $25 for up to 3 entries. Make checks/money orders payable to Authentic Art Consulting. Entry fee is non-refundable.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Images should not be larger than 800 pixels wide at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch. Images must be saved in JPEG format (jpg. extension) with the last name of the artist and entry number (i.e.: Burton_1.jpg). Save all images on one CD and label it with the artist’s name, phone number and email address. CDs will not be returned. Live work or slides will not be accepted.
JURORS: The jury committee is made up of art and environmental professionals selected by Authentic Contemporary Art and the Center for Green Urbanism. Jurors will be looking for innovative and imaginative artwork depicting the natural beauty of the Earth.
NOTIFICATION: All artists will be notified of their status by email by March 5, 2011.
DELIVERY: Artists are responsible for delivery and pick up of all selected artwork for the exhibition. All artwork must be delivered to the Center by March 25, 2011.
The exhibition will be on view to the public from April 2-April 29, 2011. Unsold artwork may be picked up on April 28th and other dates TBD. Artists who do not retrieve their artwork will be charged a storage fee of $10 per day, and after 30 days, unclaimed art will become the property of the Center and Gallery. No shipping services are available for the return of artwork by ACA, the Center or the Gallery.
EXHIBITION: Artwork must remain in the exhibition for the duration of the show. An Exhibition Reception is tentatively planned for early April.
SALES: All artwork must be available for purchase. A commission of 35% will be charged on all sales resulting from the exhibition.
LIABILITY: While every precaution is made to safeguard and handle artwork with care, Authentic Contemporary Art, Tubman-Mahan Art Gallery and the Center for Green Urbanism are not responsible for damages or loss of artwork, however caused, before, during and after the exhibition. Artists are expected to carry their own insurance for their artwork. The receipt of an entry in the exhibition will constitute agreement by the artist with the conditions set forth in this prospectus.
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: Mail entry form and materials to ReCREATE, c/o Authentic Contemporary Art, 3938 Benning Road, NE, Washington, DC 20019. Include CD with images, entry fee of $25 (check or money order payable to Authentic Art Consulting) and completed entry form. Juror notification will be sent by email. Incomplete submissions will not be considered or reviewed.
Entry Deadline: February 12, 2011
Notification Deadline: March 5, 2011
Delivery of Artwork: March 25, 2011
Grand Opening/Reception: Early April
Closing Date: April 29, 2011
De-installation/pick up of unsold art: TBA
Please download the prospectus and form to enter your submission.