Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rise Above

Rise Above

Continuing my Lyrical Visions series, the band Backyard Fence sent me their song Holes to create from. The bassist for the band, Andy Curry is a DC-area photographer, expressed an interest in me utilizing his photography for the piece, and after viewing his portfolio I had several images I thought I could use in creating my vision of the song.

This was a great collaboration, as I normally use my own photographs to create my work, but Andy's photos  have a unique mood to them that fit the song perfectly.

The last few lines of the song is what I focused on.
Pop your head out of the clouds it's a false shroud of living and identity.... 
and out of the hole you'll rise, with big wings that will 
touch the sky and fly amongst the rest in bliss.


The band describes itself as "a musical experimental gaining momentum influenced by: Rush, Nine Inch Nails, Motörhead, The Chemical Brothers, The Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Primus, The Doors, Nirvana, Weezer, etc." Be sure to check out their Facebook page to stay up to date with their shows.

Listen to the song here, and view the lyrics below that inspired this piece.
Holes

Verse I 
There are these holes that we walk by everyday not knowing where
they go or where they lead.
The grow from every corner and to the end of time and back and
spawn from nothingness into holes.
Some people label them evil, but that's just a sign of regret
from all we have lost to these holes.
When it teeters it will totter, when it's cold it will get hotter
because every beginning is an end.

(Little Interlude) 

From the dawn of man it came to be, a world of incomplete and tragedy;
the rifts and doubts of purity.
They live in all our thoughts driven by our own complexity
through ignorance and anxiety.
If there was a better touch of our existence easily seen, we'd
reach for them imediately.
Time will tell us that the evolutions of our minds we'll set us
free from our scarred souls.

Chorus
Rise above my friends, rise above my friends and avoid all
these holes in your life.
Don't be Afraid, Don't be Afraid, to drop all your fears to the
side.
Stop holding on to the past and let it go.
There's much to see from this show
and when you let go of it, you'll rise from the pit away from
these big black holes.

Verse II 
In the beginning of life, of the sugar and the spice, the promise
land unfolds.
There is no hesitation from the holes of desperation and escape
from your prison of misery.
Pop your head out of the clouds it's a false shroud of living and
identity....
and out of the hole you'll rise, with big wings that will
touch the sky and fly amongst the rest in bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment