Art on the Edge (June 1-24, 2012)
It’s Del Ray Artisans’ own “fringe festival.” Explore and create “edgy” images, photographs, 3D constructions, or sculpture inspired by your outer creative limits and perhaps drawn from sports, clothes, music, art, performance, food, lifestyle, violent nature, animals, living spaces, dwelling places, steps and stairs, outside, inside, and so on. Let your imagination do the leading! Where and what are the “edges” in your life experiences that may inform your artwork? What kinds of edges draw you? Line? Cut paper? Perspectives—those found in Nature, your own home or city? How close do you dare get to a new artistic edge? How do you interpret “the edge”? Extend limits and break boundaries. Go even “beyond the fringe!” Explore peripheries of the unfamiliar. Venture to the verge of a new reality. Enjoy the views, celebrate the journey! What artistic adventures await you! Try new media, genres, themes, subjects, or techniques. Take a risk with the Indiana Jones spirit, and trek back to DRA with your own newly discovered creative treasure! Questions? Contact Curators Betty Plummer (firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-892-8638) and Fareeha Khawaja (FareehaMKhawaja@gmail.com)
- Receiving begins Sunday, May 27, 6:30-8:30 pm, and continues Monday, May 28, 6:30-8:30 pm.
- Please submit your Art RESUME and brief ARTIST STATEMENTS for each piece submitted.
- Show is open to DRA members and DC-area artists. You can renew your membership at receiving, but it is better to do it before. We welcome our newest artists and our newest members.
- Your art must be ready to hang or display, with wire and screw eyes, mounting and/or display stand, framed, matted, or with edges finished. Ask the curators for advice before Art Receiving on May 27 and May 28. See guidelines online at: www.thedelrayartisans.org/shows/artguidelines.html
- Artists may submit up to 3 pieces of artwork in any medium. Members are entitled to have at least one work exhibited if criteria are met. Acceptance is at the curators’ discretion. Entry fee is $3 per entry (up to 3 entries) for DRA members; $5 per entry (up to 3 entries) for non-members. Entry fee is non-refundable.
- Artists submitting work for display may also submit up to 5 additional matted & shrink-wrapped pieces (original or photo prints) that fit the show’s theme for art-to-go sales. Entry fee is $1 each for up to 5 art-to-go sale items. These works must be no larger than 18”x24” and priced to sell. When art-to-go items sell, the artist may replenish them (no additional entry fee), but must coordinate with the curator.
- Art must be priced to sell. When your art sells, you are asked to make a 20% donation (tax deductable) to Del Ray Artisans. Please check the box on the entry form for an automatic donation from artwork sales.
Accepted Artist Requirements & Fine Print:
- Artists are responsible for drop-off/pick-up arrangements and for delivery of sold work.
- All artists MUST gallery-sit and/or volunteer with set-up, hanging, opening/closing receptions and/or show take-down. Please bring your calendars to sign up for duties at receiving. You’ll also be asked to contribute food or beverage for our receptions.
- Insurance for artwork and all arrangements for work sold is the responsibility of the artist. Neither Del Ray Artisans nor the City of Alexandria can be held liable for any loss or damage.
- Permission to photograph any work for DRA publicity purposes is automatically granted by the artist as a requisite for entering the show.
- Work must be original (no reproductions) and not previously exhibited in a DRA show.
Opening Reception: Friday, June 1, 7–10 pm
Come, bring friends, and watch a special “performance artist act” that will delight all!