Wednesday, May 23, 2012

ArtLibs - Artist Profile – Russ McIntosh

I was recently featured on the ArtLibs blog site. Below is the full posting:


Multi award winning artist, Russ McIntosh, has spent over 15 years developing and honing his unique style of digital photography. In the past two years, he has emerged as a hard working and diligent artist. Going from relative obscurity to being featured in magazines and news outlets, his work has graced galleries prominently throughout the east coast as well as select exhibitions in the continental United States, including California and Louisiana. Russ also works hard at helping other emerging artists with his blog, as well as offering tips and advice to those artists just beginning to showcase their work.

Have you ever stared at a cloud and saw shapes and images in them? The essence of my art is for the viewer to look deep within my images to find something much more than what they originally saw upon the initial view of the pieces. The images I have created have many layers in them, and though at first glance the main composition does register with them, it is upon further reflection that the viewer can see “hidden images” that were originally unnoticeable.

The approach I take with my artwork is very distinct, in that I incorporate numerous photographs into a very unique composition. Utilizing anywhere from six to two dozen images or more, I build a piece up. At times when layering the images, other images can be noticed, and I will adjust the highlights and shadows adding some digital paint to make the piece more cohesive. With a vivid imagination I try to present the essence of staring at clouds within my own artwork. If you look at the shadow shapes and highlights within the image, other objects will start to take focus.

You can get a preview of Russ’s work at Artomatic on the 10th floor near the bar on the airport side.


No comments:

Post a Comment